What do we mean by ‘ethnically diverse’?
Individuals must be registered as standard or paying members to attend our events, workshops and to apply for our development programmes. Our mission is to improve the representation of Black, Asian or ethnically diverse people in arts leadership roles. For the purposes of ADF, ‘ethnically diverse’ refers to race and not nationality, some use the term ‘Global Majority’. To be clear, our individual membership is open to people from the following backgrounds:
- South Asian
- East Asian
- Middle Eastern
- Pacific Islander
- Indigenous or Native American
- Mixed Race/Dual Heritage (with the inclusion of any number of ethncities described in this list)
Individual Membership tiers are open to people from Black, Asian or ethnically diverse backgrounds. Membership is open to people starting from 18 years with no upper age limit. Our current members range from 21-75 years, across the UK and internationally. We run activities both online and around the UK to provide greater access to:
- Emerging, mid-career and established directors, producers, creatives, performers and other arts professionals interested in becoming Artistic Directors, Executive Directors, Producers, Trustees, Chairs or other management positions.
- Career changers moving into theatre & live performance for the first time, with transferable skills and the desire to be a leader.
- Existing Black, Asian or ethnically diverse leaders both newly appointed and established interested in support or skill enhancement.
We partner with both commercial and charity organisations on our workshops, events and programmes. We also provide training, consulting and networking opportunities. Membership is open to all organisations interested in expanding their network and/or diversifying their leadership workforce. We are open to all arts organisations including:
- Theatre, opera, dance and arts venues and companies
- Drama schools
- Universities (specifially for theatre & live performance courses)
- Immersive production companies
- Outdoor performance companies